01 October 2009

Well, it's definitely true. Once I arrived, I had a million things I could talk about. The flights were long, and quite agonizing. The girls did pretty well, but I was pretty much a total basketcase and dead to the world. It was a lot harder to leave than I expected.

We arrived into Kigali, walked down the stairs and out of the plane, across the runway, and into the building. There were a ton of people there but for some reason (babies) they singled us out, pushed us to the front of the line, stamped our passports, and thrust us out of customs. The whole thing was about 5 minutes from exiting the plane. Gracias a dios. The retrieval of 22 Jukanovich bags was not as fun ... but completed none the less. The second we walked outside I was so happy because the weather was perfect - a perfect, beautiful summer night. It felt so good after being in airports and planes for 20 hours. I was also happy because my texting capabilities were working, ha.

We drove to the Crockett's house and had some cheese, a quick shower, then I pretended I would be able to fall asleep. I slept from about 10:30-1am, and then laid there until I got up at 6:30. You would not believe the birds in the morning. Full on tropical array of bird noises - started about 4:30. They were so flippin' loud. I wanted to shoot them.

We crossed the street about 9am and entered our own house. It's very, very nice, and large! I have my own 'wing' as I call it - a decent sized bedroom with a big closet, and a big bathroom with a normal shower and toilet and sinkage. The back of the house (which is much bigger than the front) has a huge, beautiful patio that looks over the backyard, which looks over the city.

Speaking of the city, what you hear is true - this place is so hilly. Everywhere. There's no flatness. Anywhere. It's crazy. The driving is pretty intense too - I assumed being a seasoned Manhattan driver I could take any city, but it's not so much that it's hectic here, it's that it's kind of a free for all. I'm not scared and I'd definitely do it, but the thing is I don't know about a motobike - I haven't seen a single woman on a motobike - pretty sure that's just the way it is - and I definitely think a white woman on a motobike would be a bit of a spectacle. We'll see. I still really really want one and this is not the type of city you can just walk around.

The hills are covered with houses and buildings and stretch as far as the eye can see. We're going to go eat dinner, I'll write more later.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yeah! What a great house! So glad you made it and found all 22 of the Juko's bags ;) It looks so .. . so .. . so .. . . I'll come up with a description later. I'm so for the motorbike - but it is cause to hesitate if there are no other women on bikes . ..