11 October 2009

We took a drive outside of the city today - I wasn't sure what to expect but it ended up being pretty great. I didn't bring my video camera (stupid) and we were driving so the pictures didn't come out too great - mostly blurry. There were still a decent amount of people everywhere we went - always walking, walking, walking, and man did we stick out. We drove through several small towns and the entire town just seemed to stop and watch our car go by. It was probably a little strange to see three white adults and two Chinese girls randomly going through the town.


I am just so amazed by how beautiful this country is - I know it looks nice in the photos but it's just phenomenal in real life - the rolling hills, the lush, lush greens and the bright oranges of all the dirt that is everywhere. It's funny cause you hear that Rwanda is the "Land of a Thousand Hills" and you think, ok, how many hills can there be? Let me tell you - this place is the epitome of hilly. I haven't seen an even, flat piece of ground since we left the airport. And even that could use some leveling.



We drove about twenty minutes out of the city, but it felt like hours. The areas were clearly a lot poorer, there were very few cars and stores. All the roads were dirt and quite rugged; our little Carina did very well though. It made me realize I really would love to have a moto, not only do I need my own transportation, but it would so nice to go for rides out to the country, and perhaps do some work out there. The whole jaunt was just over an hour, and I think we all felt refreshed by it. We went out to the Flamingo again, and had a great dinner. Plus, it's two minutes from our house. Nice Sunday afternoon.


No comments: