01 October 2009

I just read my last post and it was so boring - I'm sorry. I don't know why I was listing things or tell you guys the time. I'll do my best.

We went out for Chinese food tonight at The Flamingo - a restaurant a few minutes away. It was very good. Our kitchen isn't quite functional yet - the stove does not work and we really haven't gone grocery shopping yet, so last night we ate at Café Italiana - had a nice pizza, and tonight, The Flamingo. Both restaurants were very large with multiple levels and lots of outside/veranda seating - very comfortable. The Flamingo was pretty ornately decorated, and there were mostly Rwandese eating there, as opposed to the pizza place with all muzungus (white people).

We've taken a couple shopping excursions to get some essentials. The city is bustling - that seems to be the best word for it. It doesn't feel like a city, a large town, maybe (a lot like Oeiras, for those of you who are familiar with), but there are always tons of people walking walking walking, and cars in every direction, squeezing into every corner. I definitely expect Jason Bourne to run by me at some point, but no such luck yet. Maybe tomorrow?

Everything is pretty expensive - I wanted to get a little lamp for my room, but they started at about $50 (except for one they had for $12 which was broken). Also, I wanted to buy a trash can - the tiny plastic one was $17, whereas the beautiful, hand woven banana leaf one is $3.50. There is a lot of random stuff to buy here. I especially liked this dead warrior baby mobile I found at a craftsman shop. Apparently Kampala is the place to shop - it's a 9 hour bus ride for $15. I met a girl, Keza, today, and she said she goes to Kampala regularly to meet with friends and buy all her clothes. She also mentioned that she runs around the park-like traffic circle just down the road from our house, which I had been hoping would be possible to do. I am going to go in the morning, maybe I'll take my video camera.

I forgot what it was like not to be able to communicate with people immediately - it's trying. My french is not so great, and Kinyarwanda seems very difficult to me (and the Rwandese I've met has said that it is, with a kind of laugh). Jen and I were trying to ask the gardener when the papayas would be ripe, and that was next to impossible. I said "Il y a papaya manger aujourd'hui?" (are there papayas to eat today?) and got back "I don't work on Sundays" ... and I thought my sentence was pretty solid.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Ha! First of all the list wasn't boring - it was true! Second, I can't remember because I can't leave a comment and look at your post at the same time :) Third, shocker about the prices/stuff. And lastly, I laughed out loud at your gardener's response.

Ellen said...

Maybe 'cause I'm yer Ma, but I thought both blogs were great -- very informative and interesting. Hey, we know nuthin' about Kigali (or Rwanda) (or Africa!), so whatever you tell us is gonna be worthwhile. Please keep at it -- I'm looking forward to reading whatever you write!!!!

Ellen said...

Maybe 'cause I'm yer Ma, but I thought both blogs were great. Remember, we know nuthin' about Kigali (or Rwanda) (or Africa!) so whatever you tell us is going to be informative and, for me...most interesting! Keep working on that French, ca va? XO

Ellen said...

Maybe 'cause I'm yer Ma, but I thought both blogs were great. Remember, we know nuthin' about Kigali (or Rwanda) (or Africa!) so whatever you tell us is going to be informative and, for me...most interesting! Keep working on that French, ca va? XO

Ellen said...

Why are there three comments from me?

Ellen said...

Maybe 'cause I'm yer Ma, but I thought both blogs were great. Remember, we know nuthin' about Kigali (or Rwanda) (or Africa!) so whatever you tell us is going to be informative and, for me...most interesting! Keep working on that French, ca va? XO

Caroline Joan said...

mom, stop leaving the same comment 3 times.

Rachel said...

Maybe your blog could be a mother-daughter correspondence . . . I'm thoroughly entertained!