09 October 2009

Jen and Dano bought a car - a 1993 Toyota Carina (the African version of a Corolla) that is a wonderful eggplant color, complete with tinted windows and an incredibly loud ringtone that plays whenever you put the car in reverse. It's pretty thug.



Last night I made dinner - it went pretty well. I wasn't sure how the oven would do (you never know how these things are going to work out) so I put the chicken in an hour and a half before we wanted to eat. Fortunately, it cooked well. It was the first time I'd had meat since I left the states. It was tasty.

There is so much starch here - rice, couscous, potatoes, bread (well, we buy bread and I eat it - it's not a Rwandan thing though) - I need to regulate myself or that's all I'd be eating. That and bananas. SO MANY BANANAS. There's not too much color in the food here, all in the brown-white scale, lots of taupes, oranges, beiges, burnt siennas, cremes. I would kill for some broccoli. I'm sure there is some here (haven't seen any yet) but it's just that it's so expensive. I paid $14 for 5 leg/thigh pieces yesterday.

The electricity and water take turns going off. If they're ever both on it's like Christmas, and I tiptoe around hoping one of them won't notice the other one is on. This morning the water was off when I woke up, so I started writing an email. I heard it come back on, and jumped into the shower before it could go out again. As soon as I got out (5 minutes later) the electricity was off. I took that as a sign to take a nap. Or more truthfully, I accidentally fell asleep. It came on a few hours later. But now (literally just this second!) Consolee (our all around wonder woman house worker) is making dinner, the food's in the oven, and the electricity just went off. Hopefully it'll go back on in time to finish cooking...and I guess I'll have to save this to post later.

No comments: