02 October 2009

Just got back from the goat roast! It was at the Magruder's house, a family here that works for Living Water, or something like that (Water of Life? A Life Full of Water? Watered Living?) I literally felt like I was at a party in LA - this house was off the hook. It was so beautiful and so lavish and so decorated - no one would believe we were in Africa. They had a back porch with an incredible view, see here:There were a couple Rwandese duders who brought over a goat, skinned it, and cooked it. It was so, so good (definite good bye to vegetarianism). They also roasted these halved potatoes, absolutely nothing on them, but just cooked them to perfection. There were about 25 of us there, it was nice, but everyone is either a couple or a child, so I definitely don't feel completely comfortable. I need to make some single friends. Carter [Crockett] was trying to convince me to go to this dance club that was within walking distance from the Magruder's. Seriously. I'm not going to go jump into a dance club in Kigali where I know no one and have no idea what it's going to be like. I need a partner.

Maybe one of the little kids that hangs outside our gate? The Crockett's and us are the only white people in our neighborhood, so besides everyone staring at you (and these people STARE, like, longer than you would think physically possible) the kids are rushing you and say "Bonjour! Bonjour! Bonjour!" They're very friendly and always trying to talk to you and shake your hand. It's pretty funny. I might try and get some video soon if I can be brave enough to take my camera out and put it in other people's faces. So far, not yet.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

So was this a secret photo then? :) Why is the blog titled "It's Science"? by the way . ..

Caroline Joan said...

Yes, I took this on my phone trying to not be seen. I say "it's science!" a lot - I don't know why, I just love science.