22 February 2010

Running in the land of a thousand hills a.k.a. STUPID

So I've decided to run a half marathon. Dano coerced me into doing it with him, and sent me this link for a 'training program.'

It seems simple enough ... except for the fact that in 7 weeks I am supposed to be running 10 miles! The run is on 23 May and starts at Amahoro stadium, making two loops around the city. As the website says "The running course is a bit hilly. You will not break your personal record!" Wow, reassuring, thank you!

On Wednesday I ran two miles. On Friday, two more miles, this time in 24 minutes. On Saturday, three 12 minute miles. I actually don't feel too bad. I am committed to doing this - I've always wanted to do a marathon so a half marathon seems like the logical first step. I really hope I don't burn out in the first three weeks. I'm going for the gold. In it to win it.

P.S. On Thursday Megan and I are getting on a 7am 'bus' to Kampala to do some shopping. It's a 9 hour drive through the mountains. We've booked the nicest room at the Backpackers Hotel ($25) and both have meetings Friday morning - mine with the Kampala Ballet and hers with Compassion. Mostly I think we just want to see something new and also need to do visa runs. Expect an exciting post this weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as long as your heart is healthy, have fun running!!!! and yes, i expect exciting posts this weekend...thank you SO MUCH for finally updating this! run lola run

Anonymous said...

hey bub anonymous is mom 'cause i can't remember my username/password/and can't decipher those weird letters that is supposed to stump the machines but instead it stumps me, of course

Me said...

so I think I'm totally gonna join in on your half-marathon training. It's something I've wanted to do too, so I figured I could keep you company in your running pains...I'll let you know how it goes!