13 December 2009

On Friday, Jennifer had our housekeeper Consolee bring over 4 of her 5 children - Barrique, Parfait, Nice, and Magnafique to make Christmas cookies with us. Jen did a little demonstration in the beginning, and the kids quickly mastered the art of cookie cutter-ing and decorating. It was fun for everyone. There are no pictures of finished cookies because I am not sure if any of them made it past the icing stage. Every two seconds Anna would break a cookie and say "Mom, can I eat it?" Zechariah (our guard) also came in and did some decorating.


Cleanliness is a big issue with me, particularly with the feel of clothes. Consolee normally does all the laundry, but because we don't have a machine and everything is hand washed, and because there is a lot, it often takes a week to get it back. Also, because there is so much and it rains all the time, it takes several days to dry and will often smell musty.

I complain if I have to hand wash a delicate sweater. But I woke up and thought "be the change you wish to see in the world," so I decided to do my laundry myself. I have never hand washed my entire wardrobe before - oh boy.


Since hot water does not run naturally, I had to boil water in our electrical teapot, so basically half a gallon at a time, to fill the first bucket, which I put soap in. The second bucket I filled with cold water for rinsing. It took me about six or seven "loads" to do all my clothes, and four and a half hours (of labor). Do you have any idea how heavy a bath towel is when it's wet? Did you know those things are made to absorb water? I could barely left it out of the bucket, and wringing the water out was a ten minute process. Whenever you think you've gotten all the water out of a towel, try again - you haven't.

3 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Some of the expense of doing one's own laundry must be for either rubber gloves, or lots of hand cream to mend the skin erosion.

You should feel very accomplished and even more appreciative of clean clothes now! I'm glad the weather is amenable to that kind of work.

Mimi and Tilly said...

Hi Caroline, I found your blog after receiving a message from you on facebook (I'm a member of the group Ballet Rwanda). I just wanted to write and tell I think what you are doing is wonderful. I studied ballet for twenty odd years (from the age of 4) and completely love it. I will be following your blog. You have my complete support for what you are doing. What an adventure!

Rachel said...

Sugar cookies - how fun. I made it with a high school special ed class the other day (and wish I had pictures too to share ;).

Great shot of you doing laundry. It made me laugh. Ghandi of cleanliness. Ha! I noticed also the heavy sag of the laundry on the line, spin-cycle has never been so appreciated :)